Using the KB Picasa Plugin | Editing Albums in Google+
Written by: Eileen Lonergan
I am working with a client who has a gazillion images which are all beautiful, amazing and lovely. We didn’t want to add them all to the website individually because the task felt overwhelming. A super helpful colleague from my Expand2Web network, Tim Tewalt recommended the KB Picasa plugin which will pull in your Picasa albums and display them within WordPress.
You of course need to put your images in Picasa, a Google+ account, then here are the steps you need:
- Login to your WordPress page or post where the images will be displayed
- Make sure the link is on a line by itself (ie not part of a sentence).
- The URL looks like this: http://picasaweb.google.com/username/albumname
- username is your Google (PicasaWeb) username – you can find yours go to your Google+, click on profile and the crazy long string of numbers in the url is your username.
- albumname is the name of an album – (make sure your albums are public and eliminate any spaces between the names of the title)
- Make the string a clickable link
- Type in the name of the album (Eileen’s Vacation), highlight it, click the little link symbol in your WordPress edit box, 10th icon from the right), insert http://picasaweb.google.com/username/albumname into the box that pops up.
- Make sure the link does not contain
- Click Publish
This led my client and I to a bigger issue: her Picasa Albums were all uploaded, yet she wanted to edit the order in which they would appear. We were trying to edit in Google+, but we needed to be in https://picasaweb.google.com.
Once in Picasa to edit the albums:
- Click on an Album you wish to edit
- Look for the Actions tab (just above the images, second to last choice), click the drop down
- Choose Album Properties
- Here you can edit the Title of the album, change the date, give a description and give a geographic location to the album (good for local search engine optimization).
- If you want to rearrange the order of the Albums look for the Sort by button on the My Photos Tab (where you see all of the Albums, not the individual images within an album)
I know this is a lot of information. I wrote this post, sort of as notes to myself, but thought that maybe it would be helpful to lots of people, so if you are stuck just let me know.